June 2, 2016 – Thompson, Manitoba – Western Economic Diversification Canada
Today, the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, and Minister responsible for Western Economic Diversification Canada, announced $574,000 in funding for the University College of the North (UCN) to establish an Industrial Skills Trades and Training Centre (ISTTC).
This investment will help to ensure that Manitoba’s Indigenous population has the education and skills required to succeed in the vibrant industry clusters across Western Canada, including the mining industry, the oil and gas sectors, in machinery and equipment, and within renewable energy.
The new facility will also address current and future employment needs in Northern Manitoba: there is a high demand for industrial trade workers, yet there are currently no high quality industrial trades training programs being offered in the Thompson region.
- The mission of the University College of the North is to ensure Northern Manitoba communities and people have access to educational opportunities, knowledge and skills, while being inclusive and respectful of diverse Northern and Indigenous values and beliefs.
- UCN has campuses in The Pas and Thompson and delivers a range of programs in a network of 12 regional centres that include nine First Nations communities.
- UCN is partnering with local schools and industry through the School District of Mystery Lake and Vale for the establishment of the new training facility.
“The Government of Canada is pleased to support the creation of the Industrial Skills Trades and Training Centre and is committed to ensuring that Indigenous peoples – First Nations, Métis and Inuit – have the support and training they need to participate in the growing economic opportunities that exist in Western Canada. The government is investing in students and post-secondary institutions like UCN, so that the next generation of Canadians will be well-equipped to tackle the challenges of the future.”
– The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and Minister responsible for Western Economic Diversification Canada
“Western Economic Diversification Canada’s generous investment is well aligned with UCN’s mandate to enhance the economic and social well-being of northern Manitoba by providing quality, affordable trades training for our students. The availability of high quality equipment, made accessible through WD funding, will ensure that students are well prepared and qualified to fulfill the requirements identified by our industry stakeholders and partners.”
– Konrad Jonasson, President & Vice-Chancellor, University College of the North
Director, Policy, Planning and External Relations
Telephone: (204) 298-9881
Director of Communications
University College of the North
The Pas, Manitoba
WD Toll-Free Number: 1-888-338-WEST (9378)
Teletypewriter (TTY): 1-877-303-3388
Website: WD is online at www.wd-deo.gc.ca.
Subscribe to news releases and keep up-to-date on the latest from WD. Follow us on Twitter at @WD_Canada.